Friday, February 7, 2014

Strong Shoulders

My shoulders carry so much weight, so my family says about me. They say I am too young. I am supposed to have fun. Get more sleep. Do well in school. They say I do too much. I just balance. I take care of my daughter and lover, attend school, and work graveyard shifts. For now it doesn't bother me. They worry I will break. Perhaps, but maybe not anytime soon. Yet I hear this... Clean up the house, keep everything clean, get a good job, work hard, be a man, grow a spine, get tough, lose weight, do good in school, be a good father, be a good lover. The more I think about it, it really does seem like madness. Maybe I will break, but maybe not this second. These shoulders are strong. I will carry my choices. My insides feel tight. My heart feels as if it is being squeezed. Breathing is hard. Eyes water and tears drip down my face. I don't think I am breaking. I will sleep on it. I will wake up refreshed. It will be a new day. I may not have have people helping me, but that's ok. I can do it all by myself. I can be strong. I can be a good man. I can provide. It's ok. I will not cry. I will live up to expectations. These shoulders are strong right? Is there anyone out there? I don't want to do this alone. Am I breaking?

No comments: